Saturday, May 11, 2013

Joshua Tree

Back in April, Stephen surprised us with a three day trip to the desert. While my big kids love to go climbing every year in Joshua Tree, I have not been since Gracie was a baby. That was my last trip camping in a tent. (Yes, it went that well.) One of Stephen's priorities was to take the whole family out to this beloved destination. Now that we have the little trailer, it is actually possible. 

Apparently, this was the trip to learn all those little details that must be learned at some point. Details like: don't forget the levelers, check to see if the battery works, and fill up with water at home because the available water at the campsite might be only a drinking fountain. See, little things.

In spite of these logistical challenges, we had a great time. Problem solving with a smile became the lesson of day one and, after that, it was smooth sailing. We tried to get as much climbing in as possible, both high and low. The little boys wanted to test out their billy goat skills while I constantly prayed to their Guardian Angels for protection. The big kids just left and showed up at the top of rocks- more prayers! During the heat of mid day, everyone snuggled up with books or blew endless rounds of bubbles. Marie was content to sit down and coat herself with sand all day. 

I think we have the menu figured out. That is a big deal with a family of nine that is gluten free. All the easy meals are out of the question, so I make frittatas and casseroles for many meals. Thank goodness, fresh air and lots of dirt is the best seasoning. I think they would inhale just about anything. Well, except Olivia. She's still a discerning eater. :-)

Hopefully, we'll be back again soon. The learning curve must get gentler. There is only more fun adventures to be had!


Do you see my crew way up at the tippy top?
Olivia, Quinton, Collette, and Stephen scrambled up to those dizzy heights. I stayed below with the little ones.








1 comment: