Holy Saturday
I think the children look forward to Holy Saturday more than Easter. I know, it's not supposed to be that way, but there is something special about this day of preparation. For this is the day to lay out the new clothes, cut the unruly hair, trim the outrageously long fingernails, bake the tasty treats, and color those magical eggs. It is a day brimming with anticipation and easy smiles.
A special friend donated her old popcorn popper to our family cause. We had used it before, but the newness had not worn off yet. Knowing that we needed a large batch for our bird nests, I added an extra bit of kernels to the machine. Squeals of excitement rang throughout the kitchen when the lid and all the popcorn started spinning around and around. Even the oldest ones were tickled by the whirling dome of corn. Pure joy!
Of course, everyone painted and dyed the eggs. They even ask for the timer now so that the eggs will be properly dark with color. Marie Claire sat in her chair for the longest time dunking one cracked egg over and over again.
It is amazing how easy it is to get the children up on Easter morning. My moaning procrastinating children are replaced with cheerful morning larks. Everyone bounds out of bed and rushes headlong into the feast day. I wish every Sunday were met with such enthusiasm.
Stephen headed down the mountain extra early with Quinton so he could practice swinging the incense. The girls and I followed at a slightly more leisurely pace. We had hair to curl, you know. Mass was glorious and surprisingly uncrowded. I wonder if it is the early time. Whatever the reason, it was so nice to stretch out a bit and enjoy the breathtaking beauty of a sung High Mass on Easter morning. Quinton did an admirable job as the Thuriber and even the little boys sat quietly. Marie Claire ran around outside with the koi. She really loves the echo of the chapel and thus spends very little time in there.
After Mass, we headed off to my parent's home for our egg hunt, feast, and swimming party. Any holiday is a good reason to heat up the spa for my children! I always snap a bunch of photos of them before they dismantle the Easter glory and become pool rats. Xavier was having none of it this year. There was no way I could get him to sit in for the family picture. Oh well, God willing, we'll have many more Easters to come and I can torture him at a future date. As it was, everyone had a lovely happy day. I don't remember one cross word. Of course, Easter was quite some time ago now so I could be editing a bit in my memory. That's okay, I have happy pictures to prove it all true.
As you can see, it was a very full day. Poor Xavier was tuckered!
Happy Easter to All
Thank goodness, we have 50 days to celebrate!








Perfect
ReplyDelete