Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Saint Andrew Christmas Novena

This is our first year praying the St. Andrew Christmas Novena. For many years I've read about Elizabeth Foss's devotion to this prayer.  Every year I have wanted to craft beautiful chaplets, print inspiring prayer cards, and pray in soft candlelight with my family. Every year I have procrastinated and done nothing. 

But this year, I am praying for a miracle, one of those miracles that can only occur through the grace of God. Well, I suppose all miracles are like that.

So, this year we made chaplets from ribbons and pony beads. The children each chose their own color of beads to string. I printed a quick prayer card. And we all prayed in flickering light of our new electric candles. It does not look at all like I had imagined so many times, but the prayers are fervent and sincere. God knows our hearts and may He grant our prayers.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely idea - never thought of stringing pony beads!
    Thank you for the inspiration!
    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies. Neither had I until today. :-)
    Blessings,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just found this post via e. foss. i love the simplicity of this project. i will have my kids crafting these gems today. thank you!

    please feel free to print a printable prayer card that i created last year. http://joyfilledfamily.blogspot.com/2011/11/christmas-novena.html

    pax, lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      Funny, I was reading through Elizabeth's comments and saw my link. For the life of me, I did not remeber doing this last year. I had to click to see! That's what a sweet new baby will do to the brain!

      I will definitely look at your printout as I just going to put one together again for this year. Many thanks!

      God Bless,
      Summer

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, again! i just completed a variation of your chaplets. http://www.joyfilledfamily.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-novena-chaplet.html

    prayers for a peaceful and fruitful advent.

    AD JESUM PER MARIAM

    ReplyDelete