Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stephen's 40th Birthday- Hooray!

This is the day that everyone has been anticipating- Daddy's birthday. Dominic practically jumped out of bed singing Happy Birthday. The little ones were quite disappointed that he had to leave for work on his birthday of all days. However, I had some serious work in store for my crew.

First we made a delicious carrot cake with lots and lots of cream cheese frosting. I'm sure Stephen didn't mind all the little fingers that needed to taste everything to make sure it was turning out properly. Then there were presents to wrap and decorations to display down the mountain at Nanna's home.

My dearest love was not exactly overjoyed with the idea of turning forty. He refused the idea of a party and every other mildy extravagant idea I formulated. Being the wonderful family man that he is, he just desired a quiet day with all his littles, a movie, a great hamburger, and some of his favorite cake with nuts and cream cheese frosting.

When I asked him how he wanted me to decorate his cake, he replied drolly, "With frosting." Well, that would simply not do, so we surprised him this monstrosity. The kids unanimously agreed upon the imprinted cake pan of a dinosaur in the jungle. Hmm, somehow it morphed into something more akin to a Mexican wrestler. I'm still not sure how that happened but everyone was thrilled with the results none the less...

even Stephen.

The children insisted on a full 40 candles, nothing less would suffice. I do believe Stephen would have been okay with a few less. We ended up needing all hands on deck to light those candles before the first ones burned down to the cake. Xavier was not particularly helpful as he kept blowing out the candles as we lit them. 

We made it! 

After a very quick rendition of happy birthday

he blew and blew and blew. 
The little girls held on tight for encouragement and support. And then we all enjoyed the feast.

Happy Birthday!
You are my dearest.
May our good Lord bless you and keep you safe and healthy in this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment