Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Saint Nicholas

An idea for far flung family: a Saint Nicholas Day activity package!
Since it is St. Nicholas' job to bring cheer and joy to those patiently awaiting the birth of the Christ child, I thought it might be fun Christmas gift to bring the celebration of his feast to my nieces and nephews. 


Included in the package:
One letter with the St. Nicholas Center's web address
1 memory game from the St. Nicholas Center
Various coloring pages found on the web
A St. Nicholas Story by Maragret Meyerkort
Gold chocolate coins
Chocolate star cookies which coordinate with the story
Some instant hot cocoa
A handmade St. Nicholas ornament
And a St. Nicholas picture for display


One thing that I did not include, although I had bought seven of them, was the Saint Nicholas book. Upon reading it, I found out that all traces of Bishop Nicholas had been removed. The book has a very protestant feel to its language, which is just fine for those looking to reclaim the wonderful saint who inspired our current Santa Claus, but it was not what I was looking for.

Instead I found the wonderful story by Maragret Meyerkort at the St. Nicholas Center. While it does not have any details about St. Nicholas' life, it tells why he comes to visit the children in such a beautiful and moving manner that I had to include it. Here is an excerpt:

Today St. Nicholas is in the heavens. Every year on his birthday he starts on his journey down to the earth. He asks for his white horse and journeys from star to star. There he meets Mother Mary, who gathers silver and golden threads for the shift of the Christ Child. Mother Mary says to him: "Dear St. Nicholas please go again to the children and bring them your gifts. Tell them, 'Christmas is nigh and soon the Christ Child will come."

Isn't that beautiful and perfectly touching for a young child?

Some other ideas to include in a gift package:
Crayons or watercolors
Homemade peppermint scented playdough
Painted wooden saint
Chocolate St. Nicholas


An activity that I will do with my children at home is a CGS style presentation of St. Nicholas' life. 

I made my presentation a few years ago from the directions at St. Nicholas Center. However, they have made the presentation much more accessible by having printable cards for each component of the story. This is such a wonderful and tangible way to share the great saint's life!


St. Nicholas, Pray for Us!



1 comment: